Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bugs

"The Very Fuzzy (and Hungry) Caterpillar" - Cary
This theme was perfect to try out my 50mm lens with the extension tube which allows you to get really close to your subject and also gives you a tiny depth of field. This is at f/4 but the lens is wide open at f/2. By the way, this image is not cropped. See some other bug pictures here including one example of the f/2 depth of field.
E-3 w/ 50mm and extension tube, 1/1250 sec @ f/4, ISO 400

"Martian Landscape" - Matt
This was a crazy looking spider (not really an insect, I know, but thought it fit the category anyway) with a leg span about the size of a pencil eraser. It looked and acted more like a crab than a spider and wouldn't sit still. Finally managed to get a decent picture of it near the water. The "landscape" is a kiwi sitting in a pan of water.
50mm, 1/500sec, f/16

"Busy as a Bee" - Lisa
This bee is so fuzzy!

"Worker Bee" - Mike
I really like my 70-300 mm Sigma lens with the Macro (1:2) setting. I found several bees harvesting nectar from our holly bushes.
300 mm, f/8, 1/320 sec., ISO 400

Southern Shots
Next Week's Challenge: "Capture A Candid"
Candid photography is my favorite. I love to capture expressions especially when the subject doesn't know it...
Due: April 21, 2010

Bonus Pictures

"Stripped Dragonfly" - Mike
I also liked this dragonfly. I have a number of different Dragonfly pictures I've taken this past year.
300 mm, f/5.6, 1/400 sec., ISO 400

"Afton Villa Gardens" - Cary
If you like azaleas and Live Oak trees, this is the best time of year to make the drive down Highway 61 to Baton Rouge. These gardens are just north of St. Francisville, LA.
E-3 w/ 12-60mm @ 12mm, 1/125 sec @ f/8, ISO 100

"Pretty in Pink" - Cary
Pink dogwoods are even better than white ones! I eagerly await this tree's blossoms every spring.
E-3 w/ 12-60mm @ 12mm, 1/400 sec @ f/8, ISO 100

No comments: