Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fun with Filters

One great advantage of digital photos is the ability to add filter effects after the photo has been taken. There are hundreds of effects that can be produced this way... and you don't have to buy a single filter.

"Garden Lampost" - Mike & Lena
Lena took this shot while we were out for a family walk on Sunday. I made a copy and applied a strong guassian blur, put it under the original image and applied some transparency to produce a nice soft focus effect.
46 mm, f/5.6, 1/20 sec, ISO 800, matrix metering, Program mode, processed in Gimp 2.4

"A Watercolor of Flowers" - Ian

"$3 at its best" - Tim
This is not the picture that I planned on taking but it turned out well. I took two pictures one in focus and one out of focus merged them together to get a soft focus.
Fuji FinePix F31 - 2 sec exposure, f/5, iso 100, processed in Gimp

X's and O's - ryan
I decided to try the artistic watercolor filter. I could not have painted a better picture.
Cannon EOS - 1/400s, f/5.6, iso 200, processed in Adobe Elements

"Hummingbird" - Cary
I really like the "soft focus" technique and used it on several images this week - and will more in the future. Ever since my Minolta X-700 film camera days I have used a polarizer for its deep blue sky and haze-cutting effect and I took a few polarizer shots, some combined with warming filter and soft focus (digitally), and even HDR - the best of which can be seen here... But then there was this hummingbird shot. No filter other than the "soft focus" technique and some post-processing in Lightroom. I'm loving my 600mm (equiv. FoV) lens!
E-3 w/ 70-300mm lens @ 300mm, 1/640 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, RAW processed in Lighroom & Photoshop CS3

"Mother's Day Remnants" - Matt
This is a combination of a few different "filters". I applied a faux infrared filter to the image and combined the result with a blurred color version of the original. Then I tinted the entire photo and smoothed out the result.
Manual lens, manual mode, 1/4sec, can't remember anything else

No comments: