Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bokeh

"Bokeh" refers to the out-of-focus parts of an image and can be used to create interesting compositions.

"floating angel" - Kirk
So I will confess that this is an older picture that I meant to use a while ago, but never got around to posting. After trying to take some shots similar to Matt's, mine didn't look so great so I went back to this when I realized to me the glow from the blurred clouds seemed to add to the image. Or at least that is why I think it fits the category.
90mm, f/4.5, 1/500 sec, ISO 200

"Surprise!" - Matt
Someone planted some fun flowers in our yard and we didn't even know it until they started popping up.
50mm, f/1.8, 1/180sec

"over here" - ryan
Wow, it's good to be posting again. I've been busy with a new job, new house, etc. but that's really no excuse (right Matt). Jonah and I both had our first trip to a sandbar this weekend and it happenend to be only 5 miles from where I grew up...who knew.
D90 - 66mm equiv., f2.8, 1/2000s, iso200

"Irises in the Wind" - Mike
Rebecca has been waiting for an opportunity to wear this white dress. Lena thought she would make a nice background for this challenge with our white irises that have come out this week.
45 mm, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO-400, A-priority

"Have Helmet, Will Ride" - Cary
Benjamin is just about my only readily willing model these days - both my older boys just groan when I propose a shot that involves them - so I'm fortunate that he does such a good job. I've still got much to learn about shooting children, however. I do like the implied "action" or "fun" of this image - it reminds me of countless days spent riding my bike in bygone times.
E-3 w/ 12-60mm @ 30mm, 1/320 sec @ f/3.6, Flash in FP mode, ISO 100, RAW proc. in ALR2


Next week's challenge:
Southern Shots
12 March 2009 - Weekly Photo Challenge: "Green"
Due: 18 March 2009

My solitary post was getting rather lonely today so I'm very happy to see some accompanying posts. Great shots, guys. I, for one, really like this foreground-background composition style.

It's great to have you posting again, Ryan - and Kirk!

Kirk, Tim, Quincy, Chip... you guys out still out there and know where your cameras are?

In honor of St. Patty's Day, this week's theme is simple: Green. Go with whatever interpretation moves you. With a solid week of rain forecast in Mississippi, I'll share with you a Realtor's secret: a good time to show a house is right after a rain because the yard always looks greener.

Good luck and happy shooting!

No comments: