Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Zen

Zen literally means meditation. Make an image that whispers serenity, simplicity, harmony.


"Tea Time" - Matt
Tea seemed like a good zen-ish thing to do.
50mm, f/2.4, 1/6sec
"Balanced" - Mike
I saw a few cats perched on this old fence out in the country this past weekend. I thought they looked pretty serene sitting there in the early morning.
220 mm, f/5.3, 1/25 sec., ISO 800, Manual


"Zen Sunset" - Cary
Saturday night, after weeks of rain and cloudy skies, I could tell the ingredients for a killer sunset were coming together. I went to my favorite sunset spot and was rewarded with an incredible display of color and light. It was literally stopping traffic as at least four cars pulled over to take in the show while I was there. A great way to contemplate the end of the day. This is a 6-shot panorama stitched together with Hugin.
E-3 w/ 12-60mm @ 19mm, 1/10 - 1/25 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 100

Next Week's Challenge
Southern Shots
1 October 2009 - Weekly Photo Challenge: "Unfocused"
Due: 7 October 2009

I came across an interesting series of articles on breaking the rules in photography to produce different and interesting effects. I particularly liked the one on taking unfocused photos. The basic idea is to purposely leave your main subject out of focus or even the whole scene to create a dreamy or impressionistic kind of composition. You will likely need to put your camera to manual focus. Experiment and have fun! You can find the article at the link below if you're interested.

http://digital-photography-school.com/taking-unfocused-photos

Happy shooting

Mike


Bonus Pics:


"Alligator Lake Mist" - Cary
It was cool enough yesterday morning that mist was rising off the water which always makes for an interesting subject.
E-3 w/ 12-60mm @ 12mm, 1/500 sec @ f/8, ISO 100


"Siddhartha Gautama" - Matt
This was another attempt.  I figured what better zen thing than the Buddha himself?

No comments: