Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Free Study

"Dragonfly" - Mike
Found several dragonflies while searching for a Geo cache.
240 mm, f/5.6, 1/640 sec., ISO 800

"Mass Civil Disobedience" - Cary
Not one of the geese in this gaggle obeyed the traffic sign. I think some of them might also be guilty of defacing it.
E-3 w/ 70-300mm @ 226mm, 1/200 sec @ f/8, ISO 100


"Super" - Matt
Caleb didn't quite understand what I was asking (and, therefore, wasn't getting into it) him to do until I explained how Superman gets mad at the bad guys when he sees them being naughty, rips off his outer clothes, and flies after them. Once I explained this Caleb showed a lot more interest.
f/3.3, 1/20sec, 50mm

"Daddy- Daughters" - Isaac
I thought this would be a fun one to post just before Father's Day. If you can't tell, I really like to keep things formal...

Next Week: "Essence of: place"
The following two two weeks will be "Essence of" pictures. I was reading the BYU today magazine a few weeks ago where they talked about a photography group going to China to take pictures. The goal was to capture the essence of what was around them. I thought it would be good to build up to these last two topics, "Essence of: place" and "Essence of: person." The goal is to capture the essence of a place. Think about what activities occur there, what feelings are associated with the place, how the place is used, how it fits into its surroundings, etc. Think about how the place transitions from activity to activity. Do you want a dynamic or serene feeling? What elements help convey both how the place is used and how it feels? Can using shadows enhance the subject or the feeling of the picture without distracting the eye too much from the main subject? The goal is to capture a place but to do so in a way that tells us about it, how it is used, and the emotion that surrounds the place. Sort of a one picture story. These last two weeks will take some thought, so I want to give you a heads up. "Essence of: person" will focus on describing a person, what roles they fill, what activities they do, etc.
Aaron

Bonus picture:
Twilight on the Mighty Mississippi - Isaac


"Sunset Reflections" - Cary
Although usually hot and yucky, June also means that in Vicksburg, the sun sets where you can get some great reflections of the setting sun on water, in this case an east-west running stretch of the Mississippi. I was thinking that this isn't possible in too many places around here.
E-3 w/ 70-300mm @ 133mm, 1/320 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 100

No comments: