The depth of the in-focus portion of a picture (depth of field) can be controlled by manipulating the camera's aperture. Wide open apertures lead to narrow depths of field while small apertures lead to larger depths of field.
Ok, so I broke the rules and used a picture I took after the weekly deadline. And I also copied the idea from the tutorial. Oh, and I using a Cannon too! What's wrong with me?
Cannon EOS - 77mm, f14.0, 1/50s, iso 800, matrix, program mode
Like Cary, I couldn't resist the Mother's Day roses. I had a lot of fun with this, and learned a lot about how not to take these shots. Still, I finally ended up with something I rather liked. I'll have to plan the colors better next time (maybe even complementary colors!).
You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get a nicely shaped drop to stay put.
50 mm (with a close-up filter), f/19, 3sec, spot metering, manual exposure
50 mm (with a close-up filter), f/19, 3sec, spot metering, manual exposure
"Velvet Rose" - CaryI bought Angie some very velvety roses for Mother's Day and couldn't help but take lots of pictures of them in all kinds of light. This is in late afternoon light. Others are here. Even though this is at f/11 (an aperture not normally associated with shallow depths of field), when you're shooting at 300mm (600mm in 35mm equivalent), you've always got a shallow depth of field.
E-3 w/ 70-300mm lens @ 300mm, f/11, 1/30 sec, A-priority, ISO 100, RAW processed in Lightroom
E-3 w/ 70-300mm lens @ 300mm, f/11, 1/30 sec, A-priority, ISO 100, RAW processed in Lightroom
Because I am using a point and shoot camera and the wet weather last night I was unable to do a true depth of field shot. So instead I took an old picture and created a depth of field shot with Photoshop. The picture was taken last summer on my trip to China.
Used lens blur filter in Photoshop CS
Used lens blur filter in Photoshop CS
I decided to try this fun idea after my kids brought me some partially opened pea pods from our garden. I realized that most of my challenge photos have been shot at my house. It's neat how many opportunities you can find if you are looking for them. I'm surprised at how many I've found here at home.
55 mm, f/10.0, 1.1 sec, ISO 1600 (Auto), matrix metering, manual focus, A-priority
I have been wanting to take pictures of sites around Vicksburg and thought this weeks challenge would give me a good opportunity. Sunday turned out to be a wonderful day for an evening walk in the Military Park and so we took the camera along and caught the row of cannons in the evening sun.
82mm,f/4.5,1/200 sec,ISO 200,a-priority,-1.7 exposure com,matrix meter


1 comment:
Oh I like the reflection of the roses in the water drop, Matt!
Last week it was the Catfish park and surroundings that was popular. This time it's roses. I guess we're a bit alike in our thinking.
Kirk's cannons picture is familiar - I took an HDR picture of them at sunrise one day a few weeks back. His turned out better. :)
Cary
Post a Comment